Get ready to reliveSt. James the Major’s history, the city Patron Saint, visiting with us the Crucifix Chapel that today keeps the Silver Altar and its precious Reliquary.
Considered as one of the finest expression of Pistoia’s historical and artistic culture and commissioned by the General Council of the City in 1287, the Silver Altar is recognized as an absolute masterpiece of medieval goldsmithing.
Composed of a wooden framework to which gilded silver laminae are fixed and embossed with translucent enamels (one of the earliest and most important testimonies in Italy) and precious stones, the Silver Altar was consecrated in 1399 and enriched until the first half of the fifteenth century. Among its draftsmen, Andrea di Iacopo d’Ognabene, Giglio Pisano and the young Filippo Brunelleschi.
The ticket includes the interior of Saint Zeno Cathedral, remarkable building in Romanesque style characterized by its façade with white and green marble stripes. Inside, important works by Coppo di Marcovaldo, Andrea del Verrocchio, Lorenzo di Credi and Vasari.
- 1 audioguided tour to the Cathedral alla Cattedrale di San Zeno
- 1 audioguided tour to the Silver Altar
- Piazza del Duomo, 51100 – Pistoia
- 45 minutes
Summer opening hours:
- From April 1 to October 15: every day from 10am to 6pm
Winter opening hours:
- From October 16 to March 31: from 10am to 1pm and from 3pm to 6pm; closed on Tuesday
- FULL € 5,00
- REDUCED and GROUPS € 3,50
Info & bookings:
- +39 334 1689419 (everyday 10am-6pm)